COME AND EXPLORE OUR FAMILY RUN GUEST HOUSE IN THE EXQUISITE SCHOEMANSKLOOF VALLEY IN MPUMALANGA, SOUTH AFRICA.

AN EASY 3 HOUR DRIVE FROM JOHANNESBURG WILL FIND YOU IN OUR HIDDEN PARADISE, WITH MORISH CUISINE, HOMELY ATMOSPHERE AND VIEWS THAT GO ON FOREVER....

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Consumerism...

MAKRO opened in Nelspruit yesterday! Yay! Finally we might just have more choices in the Lowveld, better competitiveness and simply greater shopping.

But my goodness, what on earth is it that we are looking for?

It is interesting that, just this morning I read about the targeted effects the advertising world has on consumers. In his latest book ‘A New world’, Eckhart Tolle debates what we spend our money on in order to have a better sense of ourselves, to be more fully ourselves. In many cases we buy ‘identity enhancers’, stuff that make us feel like ‘someone else’. One has to only think of branded perfumes, kitchen utensils, etc. Who are we trying to be and how much of our integrity and our own truth are we prepared to sacrifice in the process? In the meantime we just accumulate, horde, stash and shove into storerooms—myself included.

Consumerism is an evil state of being, it bombards our landfills, multiplies and loads the carbon footprint so unnecessarily. It is indeed what sets us apart from animals: we take far more than we need!

It’s time to clear the clutter, wade through the sea of our own greed, discard what is useless and distribute to those in need.

http://www.oldjoes.co.za/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, consumerism is a vicious circle that we all seemed trapped within. Where is the line? I myself indulge in things I love, beautiful shoes, spicy food and highlighted hair, and somehow I feel these things are okay because I can't live without them. Yet isn't that what everyone else, who I see as over-indulgent, feel too? It's just different standards of life that we have all become accustomed to. At the end of the day I guess it's about personal morals and standards and if we can all just be a little bit more honest with ourselves and put the item we don't need, back onto the shelf, I think we can make a huge difference.